Biomedical Engineering is a branch of engineering that aims to produce solutions to medical problems by developing methods for diagnosis or treatment with an engineering approach. The Department of Biomedical Engineering is a department that provides interdisciplinary education, covering a curriculum that includes courses on basic medical sciences as well as the basic principles of other engineering branches.
The Main Objectives of Biomedical Engineering
To provide solutions to the problems posed in sciences such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, biology, by applying the basic principles of physics, chemistry, mathematics and engineering sciences,• To design and develop new methods, algorithms, devices and software for diagnosis and treatment,
• To develop and to manufacture existing methods and devices in parallel with the developments in engineering sciences and technology,• Calibration of medical devices and software systems of different scales in various health institutions for the smooth functioning of these systemsJob Opportunities of Biomedical Engineering :A biomedical engineer works in harmony with other medical professionals, such as a doctor, nurse, therapist, and technician. The scope of work of biomedical engineers ranges from the design of devices and software, to compiling information from many technical sources and developing new procedures and conducting research to solve clinical problems.
Today, approximately twenty thousand different types of medical devices and systems are used in hospitals, and the number of biomedical devices and systems used in our country has doubled in the last twenty years.
In addition, it is obligatory to have at least 1 biomedical engineer in hospitals affiliated to the Ministry of Health in our country, and in private hospitals with a capacity of 100 beds or more. In the light of all this information, it is obvious that the need for Biomedical Engineering is increasing day by day.
In the light of this information, the job opportunities of Biomedical Engineers can be defined as follows:
• To carry out project design and feasibility studies for the medical device and medical technology needs of these institutions or the infrastructure of these technologies as a Clinical Engineer or Biomedical Engineer in Health institutions (hospitals, treatment and diagnostic centers, etc.) within the body of the State or Private sector, to meet the needs and capacities of these health institutions To play a role in making the right decision in investments in devices and technologies
• To coordinate the periodic maintenance and repair services of the devices owned by these institutions as a Clinical Engineer or Biomedical Engineer in Health institutions (hospitals, treatment and diagnosis centers, etc.) within the state or private sector.
• To take part in the production process of these devices as a design engineer, quality control engineer, etc. in organizations producing medical devices.
• To work as a support engineer in the after-sales support units of organizations supplying medical devices, materials and equipment.
• To work as a sales engineer in the sales and marketing of organizations supplying medical devices, materials and equipment
• To take part in activities such as the calibration and simulation of these systems in the institutions under the Ministry of Health, which carry out the function of auditing the devices and infrastructure systems used by both the State and Private Sector health institutions and the planning of investments related to them.
• To play a role in providing necessary training to physicians and assistant personnel in different fields of expertise in the simulation centers of the Ministry of Health, regarding the devices and medical technologies used by both the State and Private Sector health institutions, in order to use the said devices more effectively.